Engrish, Hebrish

What with everything being so gloomy and all (Iranians getting closer to the bomb, Bibi planting trees in settlements, International Holocaust Day tomorrow, it's cold) I thought I'd cheer myself up with some examples of Engrish and Hebrish I recently stumbled across. 




                    My personal favourite.



Have they no shame?



Couldn't have put it better myself.



The rest are for Hebrew speakers. Here ' Navy vessel Nidkar' in Hebrew becomes 'my brother was stabbed" (that is in the Hebrew meaning of the English).




Similarly 'Alexandroni' (one of the regiments that fought in the 1948 War) has been transformed by the linguists attached to the street signs department of Tel Aviv municipality into 'Alex and Roni'. The guys who live next door?




Finally, a sign , obviously created by the department of philosophy attached to ma'atz, the public works office, because it raises profound questions about whether the material world we think we inhabit consists of no more than a series of abstract concepts. If you're a Hebrew reader, road 431will take you to Holon; however if you inhabit the world of English, the same road will take you to Bat Yam! English speakers will have a mayor accused of corruption but may get a sea view. Hebrew speakers will be closer to the licensing office of the ministry of transport.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Unfinished Apartheid Thriller

Zoltan Kluger